On Friday, Judge Richard Posner of the seventh circuit court of appeals in Chicago dismissed the litigation with prejudice, which means that neither side will be able to refile claims, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal.
Representatives for Apple declined to comment, according to the Journal and Reuters, while Motorola representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment, both news outlets reported.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Motorola, which Google acquired last month, kicked off the patent battle with Apple in October 2010, but Apple quickly filed its own claims against the device maker. The trial was scheduled to start last week, but Posner had already made pretrial rulings canceling almost all of Motorola's patent claims, so Apple had more to gain from the trial, Reuters noted. Shares of Apple closed Friday up $4.43 at $582.10, while shares of Google ended the session up $6.27 at $571.48.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV