Thinking more strategically, Onyx is a reminder that these smaller biotech companies can be terrific speculations. A company that has serious entries in kidney, liver and now blood cancers is a company that can jumpstart any old-line pharmaceutical company that needs to buy growth.
And, yes, Celgene is a reminder that owning a stock that is so dependent upon one drug for two-thirds of your revenue can make it more dicey than you might like, even as this $3.2 billion drug has been the envy of many a pharmaceutical outfit. It is now imperative that Celgene show growth away from Revlimid while at the same time be able to make a claim that it is superior to anything Onyx has to offer in the blood cancer category, if, indeed, it can do so.
In sum, I want to be a buyer of Celgene. But I am a chastened buyer, of that you can be most certain.
Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, has no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV