1. New York
Walk Score: 85.3
Transit Score: 81
The bad news? It costs a lot to live here. The good news? You're retired and don't have kids to support anymore or a mortgage to keep up with. Sure you could blow everything you have and live like Woody Allen or Yoko Ono in an apartment by Central Park or live a revisionist, Dylanesque life in a Greenwich Village brownstone, but it doesn't have to be nearly so costly. Neighborhoods in Queens and east Brooklyn have all the access to Manhattan you're looking for without the rent. If you want to live up at the tip of Manhattan island in Inwood, that still gives you a Manhattan subway line and views of the Hudson without taking such a big bite. The point is you wouldn't need a car for any of it and could still collect Playbills, become a member of the Met (pick one), walk the High Line, hit Chelsea gallery openings or head to Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Yankees or Mets games with the money you're saving. Live a little.
-- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV