NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- The whole point of retirement is not going to work anymore, so why should retirees keep braving traffic like commuters?
A fixed retirement income can transform car payments, auto insurance and weekly gas fill-ups from costly necessities to huge drains on the finances. If your stores, medical services, entertainment and transit options aren't all within walking distance, a change of scenery may be able to help cut costs a bit.
Neighborhood ranking site Walk Score has kept track of neighborhood density and convenience for the past couple of years and has helped real estate firms such as Zillow (Z) and Trulia pair retirees and other homebuyers with neighborhoods that make the most sense for their budget and lifestyle.
If downsizing the empty nest, ditching the car and diving into vibrant, tightly packed city life are on a retiree's agenda, Walk Score recommends the following 10 cities as potential destinations. They scouted out locations within a five-minute walk of grocery stores, public transportation and Zipcar (ZIP) rentals and came up with some great places across the country to go car-free:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV