Despite the bearish belief that Amazon's gross margins are a drag on growth, they're actually a competitive advantage, Bank of America analyst Justin Post said in a note to clients on Thursday. He rates Amazon shares "buy" with a $270 price target.
Amazon's gross margin is 6.6% lower than the average gross margin of select offline and multi-channel retailers, including Walmart (WMT), Target (TGT), Best Buy (BBY), Costco (COST), Dicks Sporting Goods (DKS), Foot Locker (FL), Office Depot (ODP), PetSmart (PETS), RadioShack (RSH), Staples (SPLS) and Walgreens (WAG), according to Post.
The Bank of America analyst expects Amazon's gross margins to reach 13% in 2012. Walmart's gross margin have hovered around 25% since 2009, while Best Buy's have fluctuated between 24 and 25% and Target's around 30%."Amazon's strategy is right for the Internet as low prices and positive customer experiences should win out in an age of low switching costs. Amazon is a transformational company, and we think Amazon remains well positioned to benefit from the long-term secular growth of eCommerce," Post wrote. He believes Amazon will continue to gain market share by expanding categories and maintaining competitive pricing. Third Party, Amazon Web Services and advertising will generate an estimated 1.45% gross margin benefit to subsidize major drivers of growth, such as hardware sales, video content and shipping programs. Amazon's shares have gained over 28% year-to-date. Amazon shares rose 0.72% on Friday, trading at $222.16. --Written by Nathalie Pierrepont in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. >Contact by Email. Follow @nrpierrepont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV