If anything, government statistics understate the rate of inflation. Most Americans would probably agree that the CPI doesn't reflect the extent to which the cost of living has gone up over the years and their dollars don't buy as much as they once did. And even the official rate of inflation is likely to go higher from here over time. In fact, many widely respected authorities -- from former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker to Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A), (BRK-B)) CEO Warren Buffett -- have warned that the extraordinary monetary actions that are being taken -- and are still likely to be taken -- by the Fed and other central banks around the world raise the risk of higher inflation sooner or later.I wouldn't want my portfolio to be in cash when that day arrives.
This commentary is from an investment professional with Clear Harbor Asset Management who is a participant in TheStreet's expert contributor program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV