August crude oil futures added $1.56 to settle at $79.76 a barrel. August gold futures rose $1.40 to settle at $1,566.90 an ounce.
The benchmark 10-year Treasury was lower by 16/32, raising the yield to 1.672%, while the greenback was down 0.06%, according to the dollar index, which compares the buck to a basket of six other currencies.
In corporate news, shares of Darden Restaurants (DRI) fell in pre-market action after the Orlando-based company posted in-line earnings for its fiscal fourth quarter but came in slightly short on the top line. Shares fell a little less than 1%.
Arch Coal (ACI) said after Thursday's closing bell that it's laying off 750 employees, or roughly 10% of its workforce. The company said it plans to "idle several operations and to reduce production at other mining complexes in Appalachia due to the unprecedented downturn in demand for coal-based electricity. " Shares fell 1.1%.Medtronic (MDT) said its board has approved a 7.2% increase in its regular quarterly cash dividend to 26 cents a share. The medical device company said the dividend is payable on July 27 to shareholders of record on July 6. Shares ticked up 1%. Monster Beverage (MNST) is being added to the S&P 500, replacing Sara Lee (SLE). Standard & Poor's expects the change to take place after the closing bell on June 28. Monster Beverage shares lost 1.5%. Ryder Systems (R) lowered its fiscal second-quarter outlook, citing weakness in its fleet management solutions business. The company now sees comparable earnings of 90 to 95 cents a share for the three months ended in June, down from a previous expectation for a profit of $1.07 to $1.12 a share. Shares plunged 13%.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV