5 Best Housing Markets for the Next Five Years
Fifth-best market: Medford, Ore.
Expected five-year price gain:13.9%
This metro area of some 200,000 people just north of the California border in south-central Oregon has had high unemployment in recent years, but Colpitts sees an improvement coming.
"Medford has grown a lot over the past decade and has more employers these days," he says. "More jobs translate to more home purchasers."Historically a farming area, Medford has become a regional hub for medical care, as well as a destination for more and more retirees. The city also hosts the New York Stock Exchange-listed Lithia Motors (LAD) chain of car dealerships, the famous Harry & David food company (parent of the Fruit-of-the-Month Club) and a few other important employers. As for housing, Realtor.com lists some 350 Medford properties for sale, priced from $33,000 for a two-bedroom condo to $2.3 million for a four-bedroom home on 166 acres.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV