"The margins that we've had have been good, but I think, generally, they've been a little bit overstated in the market in terms of media reports and the like," said Sloan.
If KBW analysts are correct, that may be because HARP accounts for a relatively smaller percentage of refinancing activity at Wells Fargo than at other banks. Citigroup's report suggests investors looking to capitalize on the margins offered by HARP 2.0 shouldn't just look at the big banks, however.
"A more stealthy way is through our coverage of specialty lenders that are increasingly boosting capacity and originations," the Citigroup report states. Stocks Citigroup recommends in this context are PennyMac Mortgage Investment Trust (PMT) and Nationstar Mortgage Holdings (NSM). Like Bank of America, Nationstar also saw GOS margins of 6% in the first quarter. That compares to the company's historical range of 3-4%, according to Citigroup.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV