New Dividend: 17 cents quarterly (per share)
Dividend Percent Increase: 6%Current Yield: 3.21% When did Best Buy (BBY) become a high-yield dividend stock? The firm's 40% drop so far in 2012 definitely helps that income-metric, but so does the fact that the firm's dividend payout has been defying gravity. Management announced a 6% dividend hike this week, bringing its quarterly payout to 17 cents per share. Best Buy has had some big shakeups in the last few months. Its CEO resigned in disgrace. And BBY's founder (and 20% owner) resigned from his chairman and director duties at the start of this month. Frankly, Best Buy is probably a good example of why it doesn't make sense to go out chasing yield -- this stock has some serious challenges to its business in the next few years, even if (or maybe because) its biggest competitors have bowed out since the recession. There are other high-yield names that make more sense to own in this market. Best Buy shows up on a list of 2 Turnaround Stocks to Consider.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV