NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- There's an old adage: "Whether you're rich or poor, it's good to have money." That sentiment surely applies to companies as well. Money in the bank means you never have to worry about creditors taking control of your business. And it provides all kinds of flexibility when it comes time to think about a stock buyback, a dividend boost, R&D or a strategic acquisition.
Yet investors often overlook a company's cash balance. They indiscriminately sell off all kinds of stocks when the market falls, failing to distinguish between debt-laden companies and cash-rich ones. As a result, companies in a very strong financial position can see their shares sold off to levels that make little sense.
That spells opportunity for value investors. They can snap up these stocks before the crowd realizes just how oversold these stocks have become.What kind of money are we talking about? In recent weeks, we've seen a number of stocks fall so much that their net cash position (which is cash and investments minus debt) is equal to 40%, 60% or more of their entire stock market value. >>ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out Stockpickr's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now! Here are five cash-rich bargains you should be checking out .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV