For more details on these risks, please refer to yesterday's release and Form 8-K, the company's 10-K for the year ended February 24, 2012, and our other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. This webcast is a copyrighted production of Steelcase Inc.
Before I turn it over to our CEO, I just wanted to mention that Steelcase will be hosting an Analyst Day on Tuesday, October 2, with a full day's agenda at our global headquarters in Grand Rapids. You'll get the opportunity to meet with a wide array of business leaders and see our strategies in action. These strategies and our solutions address the forces of change businesses across the globe are facing. As well, we'll be revealing some new products that we're particularly excited about. We encourage all members of our audience to save that date on their calendars, and we'll be sending out official save-the-date notices in the coming weeks. With those formalities out of the way, I'll turn the call over to our President and CEO, Jim Hackett.
James P. Hackett
Thanks, Raj, and good morning to everyone. We're reporting today on another strong quarter for Steelcase, and one that was in line with our expectations overall. As you have seen in our earnings release, we performed extremely well in the Americas segment, and we fell short in the European segment and our Other category. The volatility in demand in Europe is not surprising, given the upheaval in the economy there. But there were also some timing factors at play that Dave will discuss in a few moments. And I wasn't pleased with the performance in the Other category. That's the segment that holds Asia and PolyVision and Designtex. And again, Dave will describe in more detail, that there were several factors that impacted these results that were just in the first quarter, and we expect improved results in the second quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV