Updated from 2:46 p.m. EST to provide comments from Twitter on outage in the fifth paragraph.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Popular social networking site Twitter crashed Thursday, as users around the world could not access their 140-character goodness for more than an hour.
Twitter recently altered its logo, Larry.
When the site crashes and users are unable to access it, a whale appears on the website, which users refer to as the "Fail Whale."The hashtag #WhileTwitterWasDown has become the number one trending tag in the world, following the outage. Some of the more clever ones referenced productivity, actually using other social networks, and some anxiety. The company blamed the cause on a "cascaded bug in one of our infrastructure components." Interested in more on Facebook? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV