At Chesapeake's shareholder meeting, Reuters reported that CEO McClendon said the company would dedicate its oil and gas focus to just 10 basins, after previously embarking on a "land grab" of shale drilling assets across the U.S. "It will be a completely different company to invest in," McClendon said.
In Thursday trading, Chesapeake shares rose slightly to $19.09. The stock has gained over 20% from levels that UBS analysts calculate Icahn bought Chesapeake Energy shares for in May. Year-to-date shares are off over 14% and over 30% in the past 12 months, amid concerns about its finances and CEO McClendon's 2.5% personal investment in almost all of the wells that the company has drilled over the years.
Underlying a board shakeup and the initiation of asset sales, it's important for investors to remember that a shoring up of the balance sheet will remain a key focus for the oil and gas company in 2012.Moody's calculates the company needs to sell $7 billion in assets to avoid a ratings downgrade and breach of its debt covenants. "Even $7 billion in asset sales could place Chesapeake's covenant compliance for its revolving credit facility in some doubt, and the company would still face a significant funding gap in 2013," wrote Moody's analyst Peter Speer on May 31. For more on Carl Icahn, see his investment portfolio. For more on energy stocks, see the energy stocks bought and sold by hedge funds in the latest quarter. See 5 ways Chesapeake Energy can be
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV