Directors remaining on Chesapeake's board are McClendon, Louis Simpson, Pete Miller, said the company in a press release. Final board assignments will be made by the reconstituted board, the Chesapeake added, and also said that it will continue to push to have its entire board up for election in 2013, after previously pushing for staggered elections.
Earlier in June, Chesapeake Energy said that following "extensive discussions" with its two largest shareholders, Southeastern Asset Management and Icahn, it had agreed to add four new independent directors to replace four existing independent directors who will resign from Chesapeake's board. The company also sold its midstream assets to privately held Global Infrastructure Partners for $4 billion in its biggest deal of 2012 as an over $10 billion cash shortfall continues to weigh on the company's shares.
The board changes and asset sales move, are Chesapeake's largest strategic decisions since questions emerged about CEO Aubrey McClendon's stewardship of the nation's second-largest gas driller.
In two separate deals, the Oklahoma City-based driller agreed to sell its stake in Chesapeake Midstream Partners and another subsidiary, Chesapeake Midstream Development, for a total of $4 billion. While the sales will help Chesapeake Energy to repair its finances, investors and analysts still expect billions more in asset sales."The proceeds of these transactions are an important part of our 2012 asset sales program that is on track to generate cash proceeds of $11.5-14.0 billion," said McClendon of Chesapeake's pipeline unit sale. He stressed that the move brings Chesapeake's divestiture total to $6.6 billion for the year, with its Permian asset sale and Mississippi Lime joint venture among other businesses that will be sold in the second half of 2012. "Importantly, the sale of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV