SAN DIEGO, June 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxwell Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: MXWL) announced today that the editors of R&D Magazine have recognized Maxwell's ultracapacitor-based Engine Start Module (ESM) for medium and heavy duty trucks as one of the 100 most technologically significant products introduced into the marketplace over the past year.
Since 1963, the R&D 100 Awards have identified revolutionary technologies newly introduced to the market. Winners of the R&D 100 Awards are selected by an independent judging panel and the editors of R&D Magazine. The publication and its online portal serve research scientists, engineers, and other technical staff members at high tech industrial companies and public and private laboratories around the world. A full list of this year's winners is available at www.rdmag.com.
Maxwell's ESM incorporates patented ultracapacitor technology to provide the power required to reliably start Class 6 to 8 medium and heavy duty trucks. The ESM form factor is identical to the Battery Council International (BCI) Group 31 batteries used in most Class 6-8 MD/HD trucks in North America, making it an easy-to-install aftermarket product for trucks currently in service.
"Numerous trucking industry sources confirm the need for a more reliable and cost-effective starting solution, said Van Andrews, Maxwell's senior vice president, sales and marketing. "The ESM provides an "onboard jump start" capability that virtually eliminates starting failures due to extreme temperatures or depletion of batteries' cranking power by repetitive starting for deliveries or the use of battery power for heating, air conditioning, entertainment systems and other 'hotel loads' in states where engine idling is limited by law."Unlike Group 31 Lead-acid or Absorbent Glass-Mat (AGM) batteries that store energy by means of a chemical reaction, the ESM stores energy in an electric field within the ultracapacitor cells. This electrostatic energy storage mechanism enables ultracapacitors to charge and discharge in as little as fractions of seconds, perform normally over a broad temperature range (-40 degrees C to +65 degrees C), operate reliably through one million or more charge/discharge cycles and resist shock, vibration and overcharging. Key features and benefits* of the ESM include:
- Reliable starting for diesel engines up to 15 liters at temperatures from -40 degrees C to 60 degrees C;
- Maintenance-free operation and "life of the vehicle" reliability;
- Four-year limited warranty**;
- Industry standard Group 31 battery form factor for easy integration with battery systems;
- Built-in quick charging system (15 minutes or less);
- Promotes extended battery life; fully compatible with existing battery systems, and
- Green technology with no heavy metals or toxic substances requiring special recycling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV