In other words, in order to show any survival advantage for Prochymal protocol 275, not only did Osiris need to employ a dubious historical control group, but it had to separate the GVHD patients by disease severity.
Osiris has never adequately explained why Prochymal benefits children with GVHD but not adults, nor has it explained why Prochymal only seems to prolong survival in children with more severe grades of GVHD while not helping less sick patients.
When Canada granted conditional approval for Prochymal in May, Osiris CEO Randy Mills told the New York Times that the company filed first in Canada because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration had told the company it would need additional data before seeking approval here.
The newly released Canadian regulatory documents show our neighbors to the North, despite approving Prochymal, are not yet convinced that the stem cell therapy benefits GVHD patients. FDA isn't going to be as lenient, which puts Osiris in a tough spot fundamentally, even if it has momentum traders on its side for now.@zortrades asks, "What is your take on $ARNA?" There's frenzied trading in Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) ahead of the June 27 FDA approval decision for the weight-loss drug lorcaserin. Take a look at the StockTwits heat map for health care: The trader twitter chatter is dominated by Arena!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV