GVHD is a potentially deadly complication stemming from bone marrow transplants in which transplanted immune cells attack a patient's own organs and tissue as foreign.
I previously predicted that Osiris would not be successful in gaining Canadian approval for Prochymal as a treatment for GVHD. Obviously I was wrong, but with an asterisk because newly released documents show that Health Canada granted conditional approval to Prochymal out of compassion for children with a very rare fatal illness and not based on convincing scientific evidence.
The Health Canada documents -- a summary report on an expert advisory panel that reviewed Prochymal and the drug's Canadian-approved label -- show that the decision to approve the stem cell therapy was based on clinical data culled in part from a failed study found to be "limited" and "suggestive but not definitive with respect to efficacy" by the Canadian agency's expert advisors.
This is how the six-member Expert Advisory Panel on Prochymal summed up Procyhmal's efficacy data:"The panel noted that severe Grade D GvHD is an extremely serious disease that affects a very small patient population. A few panel members have seen in their clinical experience how pediatric patients dramatically responded to treatment with Prochymal. However, this positive anecdotal evidence is not adequately reflected in the efficacy data. "The panel further noted that there is very limited efficacy data; the data is suggestive but not definitive with respect to efficacy. There is a very small post-hoc analysis (in children) from a randomized
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV