Updated with new email on Arena Pharmaceuticals. BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- I took a vacation day Thursday (and live-blogged the Onyx Pharma (ONXX) FDA panel Wednesday) so I apologize for the abbreviated Biotech Stock Mailbag. Back to full strength next week.
Dore S. writes, "Hey Adam, Osiris Therapeutics (OSIR) is the poster child for how in the short term, momentum trading with low-float stocks can render valuation meaningless. Osiris sports a market cap in excess of $325 million. You've said the Prochymal Canadian approval may apply to a dozen or so children and my guess is New Zealand is a fraction of that. You also forecast peak sales of the company's biosurgery unit at $8 million-$9 million. Valuation eventually does matter but quite a ride getting there."
Osiris is a solid example of a wildly overvalued stock with a fundamentally negative outlook that is also incredibly risky to short at this time for the reasons Dore notes: A low float, momentum (read: valuation insensitive) traders and I'll add shares that are difficult, if not impossible, to borrow in size.
Here's how Merrill Lynch, in an email to institutional clients sent Wednesday night, characterized the recent action in Osiris:"Osiris Therapeutics Inc. (OSIR) – Stock price has gained for the 7th straight day as it rose as much as 10% intraday to $11.25, closing at $11.08. Supply has tightened significantly over the past few days with rates last seen trading as deep as neg
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV