This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

CLARCOR Reports Second Quarter Results

Second Quarter Results:

Engine/Mobile Filtration Segment

Net sales at our Engine/Mobile Filtration segment declined less than 1% from the second quarter of 2011. Overall, we experienced 1% growth domestically and a 2% reduction in sales outside the U.S. Our slower domestic growth was driven by lower orders from independent distributors due to softer industry demand. The 2% reduction in foreign sales (1% growth when adjusted for changes in foreign currency) was driven by a 25% reduction in heavy-duty engine filter sales in China. Despite recent monetary initiatives to address slower economic activity, our outlook for China for the remainder of 2012 remains uncertain. Lower sales in China in the second quarter were partially offset by higher heavy-duty engine filter sales into other foreign markets including Europe and Northern Africa where sales increased a combined 6% from the second quarter of 2011.

Operating profit at our Engine/Mobile Filtration segment was comparable with the second quarter of 2011. Our operating margin improved 0.2 percentage points from last year’s second quarter to 22.7%—the highest second quarter operating margin in our Engine/Mobile Filtration segment in at least ten years.

Industrial/Environmental Filtration Segment

Net sales at our Industrial/Environmental Filtration segment increased 1% from the second quarter of 2011. Overall, these higher net sales were the result of less than 1% sales growth domestically and 3% sales growth outside the U.S. Our growth in domestic sales was heavily influenced by continued strong sales at our Total Filtration Services (TFS) distribution business which has steadily increased sales and operating profit over the last several years. These higher sales were offset by lower sales of aviation and marine fuel filtration products and lower natural gas vessel sales due to the timing of several large orders in the second quarter of 2011. The 3% increase in foreign sales (9% when adjusted for changes in foreign currency) was driven by an approximate 34% increase in natural gas vessel and aftermarket filter sales in several international markets including Asia, Australia and Canada. In addition, our European sales in this reporting segment rebounded in the second quarter. After declining 9% in the first quarter compared with the first quarter of 2011, our European sales grew by 8% from last year’s second quarter. This sales growth was the result of strong dust collector system sales at our United Air Specialist (UAS) business and higher military marine fuel filtration sales in the U.K. Although uncertainty persists for our outlook for the remainder of the year in Europe, we are cautiously optimistic that our backlog heading into our second half will facilitate the continuation of sales growth in the third and fourth quarters.

4 of 8

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG

Markets

DOW 17,619.51 +23.16 0.13%
S&P 500 2,063.12 +5.48 0.27%
NASDAQ 4,986.8670 +28.3990 0.57%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs