In the case of the U.S., the model remains flawed: costs exceed revenue. The solution here isn't any different than the one the airlines have pursued: Cut spending and raise revenue. None of this is popular -- not higher ticket prices, not higher taxes, not bag fees, not reduced health care spending. But options are limited.
Sub-committees of both the House and the Senate are studying bills that would force airlines to drop the fee for the first checked bag and would prohibit fees for carry-on bags. The latter restriction would apply to a single carrier, Spirit (SAVE), which innovates by charging rock-bottom fares and subsidizing them with fees for the services travelers use. Does that really need to be illegal?
The bills are misguided. Fees are unpopular, but they create revenue. Revenue keeps businesses and countries afloat.
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV