Updated from 3:49 p.m. ET to reflect a service update from Apple and latest share price.
A statement appeared on the support section of Apple's Web site at 2:42 p.m. ET confirming the outage. An unspecified number of users may have been affected, according to the tech giant.
Apple confirmed an iCloud outage on Wednesday.
"Users may be unable to access iCloud services," it said, adding that normal service would be restored as soon as possible.An update appeared on the Web site at 4:06 p.m. explaining that normal service had been restored. The iCloud issues lasted between for approximately four hours, starting at around noon, it added. Apple launched iCloud last year, touting services such as cloud-based document storage and iTunes in the cloud. Seen as a shrewd way for Apple to tighten its relationship with its customers, iCloud has racked up 125 million registered users since its introduction in October. The iPhone maker has not yet to respond to TheStreet's request for comment on this story. The stock was down 4 cents, or 0.01%, at $585.70 in extended trading. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV