5 Reasons Why the Americans Are More Worried About Europe Than the Europeans
NEW YORK ( Minyanville) - Being a long-time resident of Germany, I get a lot of questions about how the German people perceive the EU crisis. How do they feel about the sometimes-quite-nasty pressure from all sides to take on the debt of their less productive and less fiscally responsible neighbors? Are they outraged? Are they resentful?
It's interesting because I'm usually reading the news in German while most of my friends in the west are still sleeping. I hear about the day's events and latest developments, and come away thinking that this is a very complicated problem that will take a lot of time, discussion, and compromises to get through, but it will all work out.
It's really only when I turn on the US news that I start to panic about the EU. My impression is that the Americans are more worried about what is going on over here than the people over here. And I have to ask myself: Why is that? Why aren't the Germans freaking out?
Clearly, it's the German taxpayers who will be footing the bill while their neighbors keep piling on debt, spending more money, and asking for bailouts to prop up their systems and keep up their standards of living, despite the fact that they really aren't producing much.
| More from Minyanville
World in Crisis, G20 Sips Cocktails
Four Real-World Investing Rules That Should Be Taught in Schools
An Unnatural Rally Pattern for Natural Gas
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV