Stalter: Small-Cap Standouts
Another small-cap that popped up on my scans on Tuesday is Tangoe (TNGO), which makes software that helps business customers manage their telecom systems and other data. I was in this stock a few months ago, exiting with small gains. This has historically been a difficult stock to hold, as it tends toward large intraweek price swings.
While many stocks can be bought successfully after they clear previous price highs, Tangoe's history shows it should be entered at a lower price point. As it is currently holding above short- and medium-term moving averages, I consider this stock to be in buy range. Of course, if the young market uptrend fizzles in the next few sessions, that could pull the stock quickly out of range. As always, investors need to set stops at a comfortable level, using either a percentage decline or a moving-average to keep losses small.
Though I never buy a stock based solely on fundamentals, one factor I screen for is strong estimates. Analysts see Tangoe's earnings growing by 50% this year, to $0.42 a share. Next year, they are seen rising by another 33%, to $0.56 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV