Working in its favor is the fact that Yahoo! is (yet) profitable, with a considerable amount of cash and some interesting and somewhat appealing assets. However, from an investment perspective I don't see how owning Yahoo! can be perceived as anything other than dead money until it can demonstrate that it can keep a CEO for longer than one year and can execute successfully within that same fiscal calendar.
I will concede that perhaps I might be prematurely discounting the company's ability to survive on its own. However, the fact of the matter is, it has lost the search war with Google and its dominance is not coming back, at least not if Facebook has anything to do with it.
But clearly Yahoo! understands that it cannot just sit idly and expect to grow and it realizes its value lies in finding ways to leverage the volume of traffic it still generates. To that end, it has reached out to CNBC. However, I continue to count down to when another power reaches out and scoops it up. My best bets on that remain Facebook and Microsoft.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV