In an upgrade last week, JPMorgan analyst Ann Duignan said that Navistar's biggest risks are its struggles to meet Environmental Protection Agency emissions standards on new truck lines, while the prospect that the company finds a stragetic partner like Cummins, VW or Fiat Industrial limits that downside.
Fiat chairman Sergio Marchionne said he wants to increase the company's presence in the U.S. earlier in June, leading to speculation that Italian automobile and trucks giant could be interested in Navistar after taking a majority stake in Chrysler in 2009.
A full blown strategic acquisition of Navistar continues to remain an unlikely prospect, noted Duignan of JPMorgan, citing the company's $3.2 billion of pension liability and its $2 billion of ordinary debt. Given potential takeover interest, Duignan gives Navistar shares a $31 price target.
Without M&A speculation and activist investors driving shares, Navistar may face a rough ride. The Lisle, Ill-based company recently said it's struggling to meet new government mandated emission standards for one of its truck engines and cut its 2012 profit guidance to $5.25 a share from $5.75.After Navistar lowered its profit forecasts, Deutsche Bank analysts said last week that share expectations for the company in the second half of 2012 may still be too high. "Navistar's current guidance assumes both positive pricing actions and market share gains in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV