It's sort of strange that institutions are selling off McDonald's (MCD) right now. After all, the firm has earned its stripes as a stellar defensive name that actually managed to grow during the recession of 2008, and pays a cash dividend that currently clocks in at a 3% yield.
Still, institutions unloaded more than 14 million shares of McDonald's in the last quarter -- a small chunk of their total stake in the firm, but still one of only a few stocks that saw selling from their portfolios in the quarter. All told, institutional holdings in MCD dropped by $2.9 billion in the first quarter of 2012.>>5 Household-Name Stocks Ready to Boost Dividends McDonald's is the standard bearer in the fast food business, with more than 33,500 restaurant locations spread across 119 countries. The vast majority of those locations are franchised, part of MCD's unique strategy toward growing its footprint. You see, in many cases, the firm owns the properties that franchised restaurants are located on, giving the company greater income from each location than other restaurant franchisors receive. Because McDonald's own team effectively picks the locations for its franchised locations by buying the land, the firm is able to put new locales through analysis and rigor that small franchisors can't. As a result, McDonald's boasts average store stales of $2.7 million, well above the industry average. Selling off McDonald's shares may just be an example of gain-taking among portfolio managers, but in this environment, MCD's business should be selling at a premium, not at a discount. Statistically, with less than half the risk of the S&P, I still think McDonald's is a good pick for investors who want to get defensive with their portfolios...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV