Canadian Natural Resources
Another commodity stock that pros hate right now is Canadian Natural Resources (CNQ), an independent oil and gas company with proven reserves of 7.5 billion barrels of oil equivalent. Institutions sold off close to 10 million shares of CNQ in the last quarter, adding onto big year-to-date losses to decrease holdings in CNQ by $3.2 billion.
Like Newmont, CNQ's biggest catalyst for tumbling in 2012 has been the price of oil. Despite prolonged crude prices in the triple digits, oil prices have gotten shoved down into the low $80s, a drop that materially impacts profitability for oil companies like Canadian Natural Resources. Still, there's reason to be a fan of CNQ too right now -- the firm owns a significant number of low-cost oil producing properties, positioning that should help the firm keep a handle on profitability even under the pressure of slumping crude prices.>>5 Energy Stocks T. Boone Pickens Loves Right Now CNQ generates significant cash flows from its operations right now, and while it doesn't pay out a particularly exciting dividend (it yields just 1.5% at last count), that cash is nearly enough to fund capital spending on new drilling operations. The fact that CNQ doesn't need to pile on excessive amounts of debt from the capital markets for growth is a good sign. Still, as with Newmont, I'd recommend waiting for a turnaround in crude prices (and sentiment for Canadian Natural Resources) before buying this stock - institutions still hate it, after all.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV