Smith Micro Software, Inc. ( NASDAQ:SMSI), a leading provider of wireless and mobility solutions, today announced a new addition to the company’s NetWise™ traffic management portfolio with NetWise SmartSpot™ for iOS-based devices. The NetWise SmartSpot solution helps mobile operators offload data traffic from iOS devices to Wi-Fi networks by proactively notifying subscribers of available Wi-Fi access points and measuring their Wi-Fi efficiency. For consumers, it simplifies connection to those networks and helps them to better manage data costs.
“One of the exciting changes introduced in Apple’s iOS 6 last week is the ability to make FaceTime calls over cellular networks, but video calling can cause headaches to both consumers and wireless operators if not properly managed,” said David Sperling, CTO of Smith Micro Software, Inc. “Consumers still struggle to understand how much data is used by applications. Running video apps over cellular is a drain on their data plans, as well as a burden on already congested wireless networks. NetWise SmartSpot helps both operators and their subscribers by encouraging and automating the use of Wi-Fi networks.”
Ideal for mobile operators that have or are in need of a strong Wi-Fi strategy, NetWise SmartSpot helps reduce network congestion and support calls associated with data usage for Apple’s iPhones and iPads. Wireless traffic is improved by helping subscribers to know when and where alternative networks are available, and helping them to seamlessly authenticate and connect to those networks.
Notable features of NetWise SmartSpot include:
- Smart Wi-Fi Discovery: location-based discovery of available Wi-Fi Access Points beyond those that are “in range” of the device radio; includes visual maps and search feature, and can be integrated with operator or third-party Wi-Fi directories
- Proactive Notifications: alerts subscribers when they are near available Wi-Fi networks, even when Wi-Fi radios are turned off
- Auto-authentication: automatically enters subscriber usernames and passwords to authenticate with Operator Wi-Fi access points, streamlining usage of Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi Efficiency Score: each subscriber’s Wi-Fi usage is measured and benchmarked against other subscribers to educate and promote increased usage
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV