CANTON, Mass., June 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today is the first official day of summer, and as people get ready for road trips throughout the season, Dunkin' Donuts, America's all-day, everyday stop for coffee and baked goods, has taken a closer look at how people keep themselves running during summer getaways. Dunkin' Donuts commissioned an independent survey of more than 1,000 Americans across the country to learn more about how people "stay cool" before and during a summer vacation, weekend getaway, or day trip. According to the results:
- Two (or more) for the road: Approximately 59% of people make at least two or more stops for food or drinks during their summer road trip. Approximately one-third of people (31%) stop three times or more.
- Suffering from suitcase stress: Exactly half of people (50%) claim to have either a little or a lot of stress over packing for a trip.
- Spontaneous consumption: Nearly three-quarters of people (74%) claim they make their food and drink stops spontaneously as needed. Only 15% of people plan their food and drink stops at the start of their summer road trip.
- More than one-third (36%) of people use a GPS or other travel technology to identify food and drink stops during summer road trips.
- Food fight: Do you argue over where and when to stop for food or drinks? Twenty percent of people claim they sometimes or always argue with their road trip mates.
- Which member of the family usually needs to make the most food or drink stops during a summer road trip? Thirty-nine percent say it's themselves, while 24% claim it's the kids and another 15% say it's their spouse or significant other.
Summer Coolstice Twitter Sweepstakes
To help celebrate the summer solstice, Dunkin' Donuts is welcoming the hottest season in a cool way with the new Dunkin' Donuts "Summer Coolstice" Twitter Sweepstakes. Today, followers of @DunkinDonuts who tweet their favorite variety of Dunkin' Donuts' Coolatta frozen drinks, using the special hashtag #DDCoolstice, will be entered for a chance to win a $50 Dunkin' Donuts Card, which can help anyone stay refreshed with icy Dunkin' Donuts beverages and delicious snacks through the start of summer.Dunkin' Donuts will award a total of eight $50 Dunkin' Donuts Cards throughout the day, approximately one per hour. For official rules and additional information related to the Summer Coolstice Twitter Sweepstakes, visit: http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/promotions/coolstice_twitter_sweepstakes.html Dunkin' Donuts' Frozen Coffee and Coolatta frozen drinks are the perfect pick-me-up to help beat the heat at work or play. Formerly known as Coffee Coolatta, Frozen Coffee is a delicious frozen beverage with flavors of rich coffee topped with whipped cream. In addition to Frozen Coffee, guests can enjoy Frozen Mocha Coffee with the flavor of delicious mocha, and Frozen Caramel Coffee with the flavor of sweet caramel. Dunkin' Donuts also serves Coolatta frozen drinks in a variety of favorite flavors, such as Strawberry, Orange, Vanilla Bean, and more.