- Illicit cigarette consumption increased by 1.1 billion in 2011 versus 2010 to a total of 65.3 billion cigarettes, which equates to 10.4% of all cigarette consumption in the EU. This is the highest ever recorded level and constitutes the fifth consecutive yearly increase.
- Illicit cigarette consumption in the EU in 2011 was larger than the total legal cigarette markets of France and Portugal combined.
- Illicit cigarette consumption increased in Mediterranean countries, including Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus and Malta and amounted to 12.6 billion cigarettes in 2011.
- 2011 witnessed a sharp increase in “illicit white” cigarettes - cigarettes that are manufactured for the sole purpose of being smuggled into and sold illegally in another country. In 2011, illicit whites reached more than 15.7 billion cigarettes across the EU, compared to nearly zero in 2006.
Philip Morris International: KPMG Study Shows Illicit Cigarettes In EU Reach Highest Recorded Level In 2011, Fifth Consecutive Yearly Increase
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.