Warren Buffett's Next Big Investment Idea Has Everyone Baffled
Piercy agreed that "we are in a conundrum of sorts right now with regard to very good quality product being originated with a substantial amount of legacy product being offered and not enough capital being applied to the space."
Those kinds of comments would surely be music to the ears of Buffett, who prides himself on buying into out-of-favor industries on the cheap. What's more, Buffett's sterling reputation would give him a decided edge in an industry that has "lost the benefit of the doubt before judges, before regulatory bodies and before certainly debtors counsel," according to Barry Johnson, attorney with SettlePou, a Texas-based law firm.
Buffett may have lost out to Nationstar on Tuesday, but it is unlikely his famous elephant gun will remain quiet for long in the mortgage servicing industry.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV