The Father's Day Index: Dad's Value In 2012
Of the traditional tasks on the Father's Day Index, dads we surveyed said helping with homework, barbecuing or cooking and driving took up most of their domestic-duty time each week.
If you want to ruin your dad's Father's Day, ask him to fix the plumbing or move some furniture -- those are likely his least favorite jobs around the house. When asked about their favorite jobs around the house, fathers ranked them this way:
- Barbecuing/cooking: 22 percent
- Helping with homework: 17 percent
- Driving: 14 percent
- Coaching a team: 9 percent
- Assembly of toys, bookshelves, etc.: 9 percent
- Fixing broken things around the house: 6 percent
- Mowing the lawn, landscaping, snow removal: 5 percent
- Doing family finances: 5 percent
- Car maintenance; 4 percent
- Being a scout leader: 3 percent
- Pest removal (spiders, gross bugs): 3 percent
- Fixing plumbing: 2 percent
- Moving furniture: 2 percent
If fathers could pay someone to do all their household tasks, many say they'd likely want to spend the extra time with their families. In the survey, 36 percent of men chose this as the most likely activity that would take up his free time. Other top responses, in order of popularity, were exercising or playing sports, working, doing things on the computer, traveling or visiting museums, parks or historical sites, watching TV or movies or going to school.
The Father's Day Index 2013
|Dad job||BLS occupation||Hours per week||Weeks per year||Mean hourly
|Annual Dad value|
|Driving||Taxi drivers and chauffeurs||9||52||$14.30||$6,692.40|
|Helping with homework||Other teachers and instructors||10||40||$22.93||$9,170.00|
|Family finances||Accountants and auditors||0.5||52||$33.75||$877.50|
|Mowing the lawn, landscaping, snow removal||Grounds Maintenance Workers||2||52||$11.30||$1,175.20|
|Moving furniture||Laborers and freight, stock, and material movers, hand||2||3||$12.98||$77.85|
|Car maintenance||Automotive service technicians and mechanics||2||10||$17.60||$352.00|
|Coaching a team||
Athletes, coaches, umpires, and related workers
|Scout leader||Recreation and fitness workers||5||10||$16.88||$843.75|
|Assembly of toys, bookshelves, etc.||Miscellaneous assemblers and fabricators||3||10||$15.15||$454.50|
|Pest removal (spiders, gross bugs)||Pest control workers||1||4||$14.25||$57.00|
|Handyman||Maintenance and repair workers, general||8||6||$18.30||$878.40|
|Plumber||Pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters||2||3||$29.20||$175.20|
“Dad's value” is based on occupational wage data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and does not include a salary from work outside the home.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV