MeadWestvaco Corp. (NYSE: MWV), a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions, introduced Shellpak® Renew, a new package designed to meet patient and pharmacist needs. The package, which will launch at more than 3,600 Walmart pharmacies this summer, features a tear-resistant, recyclable outer carton, an easy-slide blister and an integrated calendar for patients to easily track their medications.
“Medications prepackaged in Shellpak Renew make dispensing medications quicker and easier so that our pharmacists can spend more time counseling our patients, including providing instructions on how to take their medications,” said Sandy Kinsey, vice president, Pharmacy Merchandising at Walmart Stores. “In addition, the calendarized packaging helps reinforce to our customers how to take their medications safely and effectively for the best outcome.”
The development of Shellpak Renew is part of MWV’s long-standing commitment to further awareness and solutions for poor medication adherence. Research shows that half of all patients in the U.S. today do not take their medicines as prescribed. Poor medication adherence can lead to worsening of disease, serious and avoidable health risks, increased hospitalizations and even death. The annual cost of non-adherence in the U.S. is estimated to be $290 billion, representing 13% of total healthcare expenditures. 1
“Among the many adherence solutions that are available to help patients take their medications as prescribed, medication packaging may be uniquely effective as one of the last opportunities to educate patients about how to take their medications safely and effectively,” explains MWV’s John Grinnell, vice president and managing director, for MWV Healthcare’s Secondary and Adherence Packaging Division.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV