Before the event, few details were known, as it was clouded in secrecy, with the event having come together just a few days before. Even the location of the event was not known until 10 a.m. PST on Monday, mere hours before the event began.
Microsoft Surface tablet
Microsoft did not release pricing details of the Windows 8 tablet, or when it would be available, though CEO Steve Ballmer did say it would be "competitive" in terms of price with other tablets on the market. The device is 9.3 millimeters thin, comes with USB 2.0 ports, a kickstand and its weight varies, depending on the chipset inside. It also comes with a keyboard, and a small cover that's held together by magnets, similar to Apple's SmartCover.While it's unclear how well consumers will react to this device once it goes on sale, the tech blogosphere is already weighing in along with sell-side analysts who see this as somewhat of a positive development for Microsoft, assuming it can execute properly. Here's a look at what's at stake for Microsoft, as well as how Cypress and ARM could benefit if the Surface takes off.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV