NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The major U.S. equity indices finished sharply higher on Tuesday as risk-tolerant investors bet that additional fiscal stimulus is forthcoming from the Federal Reserve.
For the day at least, Wall Street was looking past the eurozone's ongoing troubles as Spain continued to deal with rising borrowing costs. Reuters reported that the country had to pay "a euro era record price to sell short-term debt" on Tuesday.
The Fed is wrapping up a two-day policy meeting on Wednesday afternoon with the majority of central bank watchers expecting a move toward increased accommodation, most likely an extension of Operation Twist.
TheDow Jones Industrial Average rose more than 95 points, or 0.75%, to close at 12,837. The blue-chip index ran as high as 12,899 during the session and is now up 5.1% so far in 2012.The S&P 500 advanced 13 points, or 0.98%, to finish at 1358, marking a fourth straight day of gains. It's now up 8% year-to-date. The Nasdaq Composite was the biggest winner, surging more than 34 points, or 1.2%, to settle at 2930. The index has appreciated 12.5% since the start of the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV