NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Microsoft's (MSFT) highly anticipated press release Monday proves the Seattle company knows how to gain millions of dollars in free marketing. The Twitter feed during the press release was moving faster than Nascar crew changing tires on a hot North Carolina track. Ironically, some of the Tweets included pictures of seated bloggers at the event with Apple (AAPL) laptops.
Microsoft appears to have an exceptionally cool and innovative laptop/tablet on their hands. The real question is will the advancement into the tablet space result in greater shareholder value, or become the butt end of more Apple commercials?
Surface, the new Microsoft tablet, was introduced by CEO Steve Ballmer during an invite-only press event. Microsoft could have made the event bigger with a video feed for the world to see, but when you're short on details like price and availability, a video may do more harm than good.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV