The Dow component is calling the new product line, Surface, describing the idea as "PCs built to be the ultimate stage for Windows." The stock, which slipped 18 cents to $29.84 in Monday's regular session, reacted with mild enthusiasm in after-hours action, adding 23 cents to $30.07 on volume of more than 850,000, according to Nasdaq.com.
"Surface is designed to seamlessly transition between consumption and creation, without compromise," said the company in its press release. At the event, executives showed off two Windows tablets and accessories, according to Microsoft's statement.
Among the features being touted are VaporMg, a casing production technology that Microsoft said uses a process to "mold metal and deposit particles that creates a finish akin to a luxury watch." An integrated kickstand made using this technology is part of the tablets.The company also said the Surface tablets include a full-sized USB port and a 16:9 aspect ratio. Microsoft was also touting the device's 3 millimeter Touch Cover, which it said "represents a step forward in human-computer interface." The Touch Cover clicks into the tablet with a built-in magnetic connector and acts as a keyboard. Microsoft said retail pricing would be announced closer to the commercial availability but added that pricing "is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC." The product announcement puts Microsoft back into competition with Apple (AAPL) and its iPad, and a situation where the track record doesn't favor Microsoft, whose Zune music player never gained traction against the iPod. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV