Granted, true value seekers are not content with P/Es of 11 like VWO. That's why you may want to dig a little deeper in your quest. State Street S&P China (GXC)
(GXC) recently reported a P/E of 9.3, WisdomTree India Earnings (EPI) last reported a P/E of 9.8 and Global X FTSE Argentina (ARGT) at 9.5. (Note: Again, I am not making "buy now" recommendations.)
3. High-yield corporates hedge against inflation. As much as the gloom-n-doomers (and the Fed) discuss the painful effects of deflation, there's no denying the fact that the U.S. Consumer Price Index has annualized at 2.25% over the last five years. The "Great Recession" may have destroyed net worth as well as wage growth, but "stuff" still costs more. Perhaps ironically, CPI does not really account for soaring health-care and college costs.
So what's needed? In my estimation, one needs a covert hedge against the erosion of purchasing power. With iShares Barclays 7-10 Year Treasury Bond Fund currently distributing 1.85%, iShares High Yield Corporate Bond (HYG) and its annual distribution of 7.35% is a spectacular hedge. Normally, the yield spread is around 4%, but the 5.5% spread over comparable Treasuries means that IEF could lose badly on rising interest rates or rising inflation while HYG would likely hold firm until the norm is restored.
You can listen to the ETF Expert Radio Show "LIVE" via podcast or on your iPod. You can follow me on Twitter @ETFexpert.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV