NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you tune out the noise -- Spanish bond yields, Greek elections, U.S. job weakness, China "hard landing" -- simplicity can guide intelligent investment decisions. Here are three potential ideas for ETF enthusiasts:
1. Safety in emerging-market sovereign debt. For example, emerging-market sovereign bonds are clearly better than comparable U.S. Treasuries. We can debate European contagion risk until we are blue in the face. Yet the iShares Barclays 7-10 Year Treasury Bond Fund (IEF) is distributing 1.85% annually whereas Powershares Emerging Market Sovereign (PCY) is delivering 5.25%.
The reality that the Federal Reserve and the central banks of the world endeavor to create inflation (a.k.a "reflation") only makes things less attractive for the safe- haven darling of U.S. government debt. Traders may try to eke out a bit more capital appreciation from IEF. That said, PCY provides 3.4% more yield and the collective debt-to-GDP ratio for the emergers in PCY versus the same ratio for the U.S. or for Europe will soon redefine the concept of bond safety. (Note: PCY is also dollar-hedged, reducing the currency risk associated with today's "strong dollar.")
2. Below 10 P/Es in foreign markets. It's true that I have virtually no equity exposure to foreign stock ETFs. Without a "black swan" opportunity, I am not going to buy or hold onto assets that fall below and stay below 200-day moving averages. (Note: Review the commentary at
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV