If the herd all heads in one direction too long you know what will happen? It will come to the end of the road or the edge of the cliff or to the shores of a large body of water.
If the herd doesn't stop before it's too late it will fall over the cliff or plunge into the ocean in panicked frenzy. The results are never pretty.
With today's herd of investors and traders, the ones who are chasing stocks with decent dividend yields are getting closer to the proverbial end of the road.
You'll also notice that since Microsoft is a technology company, it has gone the way of Intel and Cisco (CSCO) and moved downward in share price. The herd feels safer on the plains of Wal-Mart than in the cyber-world of Microsoft, as the chart below illustrates with unmistaken clarity: And so the Masters of The Stock Market Universe, as well as the Titans of Financial Management and Monetary Policy have made it very tempting for the herd to continue to chase yield. Here's where the caveat comes in. History shows us time and time again that just as the entire herd assumes it can feed safely on the shores of "The Sea of Dividends," the predators begin to circle.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV