NEW YORK, June 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- XO Group Inc. (NYSE: XOXO; www.xogroupinc.com), a global media and technology leader and creator of the top two wedding websites, TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com, released the results of its 2 nd The Knot Market Intelligence Destination Weddings Study today. The most definitive report on the destination weddings industry from The Knot Market Intelligence, a research division of TheKnot.com, the 2012 Destination Weddings Study tracks the industry of more than 350,000 destination weddings annually by capturing detailed information on the destination wedding trends, locations and events of nearly 3,000 US couples who had a destination wedding in 2011 or 2012.
"Since 8 out of 10 brides use and trust TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com, we are the only source that's able to provide this level of detail and insight into destination wedding trends," said Howard Ladd, director of insights at XO Group Inc. "The 2012 Destination Weddings Study offers unparalleled information and understanding of the industry and the decision-making process of today's couples when it comes to planning the perfect destination wedding."
2012 DESTINATION WEDDINGS STUDY: TOP 10 STATISTICS
- 350,000 destination weddings take place annually, representing 24% of all weddings
- The average destination bride is 30 years old
- Destination weddings have an average of 86 guests
- 70% of destination weddings take place in the continental US
- Florida, California and Nevada are the top three destination wedding locations in the continental US
- 30% of destination weddings take place outside the continental US
- The Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii are the most popular wedding locations outside the continental US
- 51% of destination wedding couples use a wedding planner
- 69% of destination weddings are held outdoors
- 86% of couples still plan to take a honeymoon after their destination wedding
- In 2011, nearly 1 in 4 (24%) couples had a destination wedding; this has grown from 20% in 2009.
- 66% of international destination wedding brides and 45% of domestic destination wedding brides opted for a destination wedding because they wanted a special, fun or exotic locale.
- The second most popular reason why international brides chose a destination wedding was to host a more intimate affair with fewer guests (65%), while domestic brides wanted a destination that was special to them as a couple (44%).
- In 2011, 70% of couples chose a continental US destination for their wedding, up from the 60% who opted for Stateside nuptials in 2009.
- Conversely, 30% of couples married in an international destination, down from 40% who traveled internationally in 2009.
- The top five domestic destination wedding locations include: Florida (18%), California (13%), Nevada (9%), North Carolina (5%) and South Carolina (4%).
- The top five international destination wedding destinations include: Caribbean (39%), Mexico (24%), Hawaii (20%), Central/ South America (7%) and Europe (6%).
- In 2011, destination wedding couples hosted more guests, with an average of 86 guests per wedding. In 2009, there was an average of just 77 guests per destination wedding.
- Domestic destination weddings are larger, hosting an average of 96 guests (compared with an average of 62 guests for the international group).
- Destination wedding events are longer than the average wedding, with most (60%) lasting three or more days.
- International destination weddings are even more likely to span several days…and they're getting longer. Nearly 7 in 10 international weddings last three or more days, and nearly half (47%) last four or more days, compared with just 38% in 2009.
- Destination wedding couples are spending more on a per guest basis than their more traditional wedding counterparts. The median destination wedding spend is $404 per guest internationally, and $225 per guest domestically, compared with the national wedding average of just $137 per guest.
- The average total destination wedding spend is $20,890 (not including honeymoon, engagement ring or travel expenses).
- Aside from the traditional rehearsal dinner, after-party and next-day breakfast, 1 in 3 (32%) destination wedding couples plan a group activity like a sightseeing tour for their guests.
- Of the couples who plan a group activity, more than half (53%) cover the cost for at least some of their guests.
- For those couples who contribute to the cost, they spend an average of $2,598 internationally and $2,280 domestically planning these group events.
- Couples are also considering their guests' expenses, with 2 in 5 (39%) paying for travel/accommodations for at least some of their guests.
- More than 4 in 5 international destination wedding couples and guests stay at the wedding destination beyond the wedding date, while more than half of their domestic counterparts do the same.
- Nearly 9 in 10 couples still plan to take a honeymoon after the wedding, with 7 in 10 of them honeymooning in their wedding locale – either for part of the honeymoon or the whole trip.
- In addition, nearly 3 in 10 will have another party when they get home.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV