NEW YORK ( Credit.com) -- Consumers who head to one of the nation's top home improvement retailers in the near future may notice the prices are lower.
(HD) fought and won a major battle with large financial institutions over the fees it was charged to accept debit and credit card transactions -- known in the payment industry as swipe or interchange fees -- it saw its operating costs take a tumble, according to a report from
American Banker. The victory over major banks came late last year when the Federal Reserve Board announced a rule that limited the amount banks could charge for a debit card transaction fee to just 24 cents per swipe, down significantly from the total that came from the fees that averaged approximately 3% of a total transaction's value.
Home Depot prices may be lower since the so-called Durbin Amendment, but the retailer is cautious in noting that these price drops were not the direct result of the regulation.
Since the rules from the Fed took taking effect last October, Home Depot has lowered prices for some 3,000 products, a store executive says. He was also cautious in noting that these price drops were not the direct result of the regulation, though, but rather the overall savings on operating costs the company has enjoyed since.
"The money saved
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV