InterDigital's patent sale efforts have a bigger relevance for struggling tech giants, who expect to fund turnaround efforts through similar sales and licensing cash, but may find problems if licensing agreements and litigation diminishes the value of portfolios.
"I believe the value is reduced by encumbrances. I think that is also weighing heavily on the Kodak patent sale," says Erlickman. InterDigital's M&A efforts have coincided with a similar effort by Kodak. However, after failing to sell patents at the end of 2011, Kodak is now conducting those sales in courts after filing a Chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier in the year, amid a cash crunch.
Earlier in June, Kodak said it has signed confidentiality agreements with 20 parties on the sale of its 1,100 patent strong portfolio of intellectual property related to digital photos and imaging services. The company also said it has generated over $3 billion from licensing digital imaging patents from smartphone makers like Samsung, LG and Motorola Mobility. Separately, Kodak is also litigating patents with Apple (AAPl), HTC and Research In Motion.
Kodak's efforts, taken with InterDigital's Monday deal have a broader relevance for IP rich but strategically slumping tech giants. "Investors can and should read from the success of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV