Emergent BioSolutions Inc. (NYSE: EBS) announced today that it has entered into a public-private partnership with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), to establish a Center for Innovation in Advanced Development and Manufacturing (Center). The Center will facilitate advanced development of chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) medical countermeasures, ensure domestic pandemic influenza vaccine manufacturing surge capacity, share facility construction costs, and provide workforce development training programs to address the U.S. government’s preparedness priorities and needs.
“Emergent is pleased to enter into this long-term public-private partnership with BARDA to help achieve our common goal of strengthening national security and preparedness efforts,” said Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi, president and chief executive officer of Emergent BioSolutions. “We are honored by the U.S. government’s continued confidence in us, which is founded on our longstanding track record of being the premier biodefense developer and supplier of medical countermeasures. This award underscores Emergent’s core competencies not only in product development and manufacturing, but also our expertise in contracting with the U.S. government and navigating the regulatory process. This partnership truly allows us the opportunity to fulfill our mission – to protect life.”
The contract consists of an eight-year cost-reimbursable, cost-share base period of performance, with a fixed price component, valued at approximately $220 million, with up to 17 additional 1-year options that will specify their own period of performance and contract value. The eight-year base period of performance includes:
- Securing a pandemic influenza vaccine candidate and obtaining access to all necessary Intellectual Property rights for facility process development and manufacturing,
- Constructing additional facilities to support pandemic influenza vaccine production, and
- Obtaining facility licensure to manufacture a pandemic influenza vaccine at the Baltimore facility.
Under the contract, BARDA may issue service task orders for requirements such as CBRN advanced development, pandemic influenza vaccine surge production, facility readiness, and other activities including bulk manufacturing, formulation, filling and finishing, storage, and shipping.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV