"Taking pressure off of natural forests is a key measure to helping the world's remaining forests and curbing deforestation. If done right, Kimberly-Clark's innovative practices could be groundbreaking and potentially set a new high bar for other companies to meet," said Richard Brooks, Greenpeace Forest Campaign Coordinator. "We applaud Kimberly-Clark on this initiative."
As global demand for the world's forest resources increases, identifying and using fiber alternatives will be essential to the sustainability of those forests and to our business. Forests and trees are essential to life – they clean the air, store vast amounts of carbon, purify water, control erosion, and support wildlife. In addition, more than 1.6 billion people worldwide depend directly on natural forests for their livelihood, food, clothing, and shelter. Almost half of the Earth's original forest cover is gone, much of it removed within the past three decades, and with world population projected to reach 9 billion by 2050, pressure on these important resources continues to grow. Therefore, Kimberly-Clark is pledging to innovate creatively for the future by being more flexible in its fiber usage.
"Even with modest projections for population growth, consumption and climate change, by 2030 we would need two Earths to keep up with global demand for food, fiber and fuel – so this announcement is a welcomed initiative that builds on Kimberly-Clark's commitment to responsible forestry," said Kerry Cesareo, Managing Director of World Wildlife Fund's Forests program. "While we remain cautious in our optimism regarding alternative fibers as a strategy to reduce the company's forest fiber footprint, we all need to learn to 'do more with less'."
Alternate Fiber SourcesTo reduce its Forest Fiber Footprint, Kimberly-Clark is pursuing high-potential fiber alternatives innovative product solutions such as: Plants that make efficient and sustainable use of land and resources with the desired intent not to displace food crops or lead to loss of natural forests:
- Andrex Eco bath tissue was launched in the United Kingdom which contains 10% bamboo and 90% recycled fiber.
- K-C Professional is currently test marketing tissue products which contain 20% bamboo in North America.
- K-C has also recently signed a development agreement with Booshoot, a biotech firm in Washington State and the global leader in bamboo forestry. The agreement will enable further exploration into the supply chain to manufacture K-C tissue products containing bamboo using Booshoot's unique bamboo propagation technology.
- Rapidly growing tree plantation sourced fiber.
- K-C Professional is currently test marketing tissue products made in part with alternative fibers including wheat straw in North America.
- K-C is also exploring alternative processing technologies and supply chain solutions for using such waste fibers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV