Even if the outlook for spending on highways and bridges is uncertain, there is still a good case for holding utilities. With demand for gas and power steady, utilities stocks tend to pay solid dividends and deliver consistent earnings. For investors seeking a utilities fund, the SPDR infrastructure ETF makes a sound choice. The fund yields 4.7%. During the past three years, it has returned 5.2% annually, outdoing iShares S&P Global Utilities by 2 percentage points. Part of the reason for the gap is that the iShares fund has 33% of its assets in poor-performing European markets. The SPDR fund only has 28% of assets in the troubled region.
A broader infrastructure fund with a decent record is iShares S&P Global Infrastucture(IGF), which has 41% of assets in utilities, 20% in energy, and 37% in industrials. Holdings include Spectra Energy(SE), an operator of gas pipelines, and Dominion Resources(D), a Virginia power producer. Because of the energy and industrial holdings, iShares S&P Global Infrastructure is more volatile than the SPDR competitor. During the past year, the iShares fund lost 7.4%. But industrial stocks provided a boost in the rally that began in 2009. During the past three years, the iShares fund returned 8.2% annually, outdoing the SPDR infrastructure fund.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV