A.M. Best Co. has affirmed the financial strength rating of A (Excellent) and issuer credit rating of “a” of Eastern Re Ltd. SPC (Eastern Re) (Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands). The outlook for both ratings is stable.
The ratings recognize Eastern Re’s strategic affiliation with its holding company, Eastern Insurance Holdings, Inc. (EIHI) [NASDAQ: EIHI] and the member companies that make up the Eastern Alliance Insurance Group (EAIG), its historically profitable operating results and sound stand-alone capitalization. These positive rating factors are partially offset by Eastern Re’s exclusive reliance on EIHI and EAIG for production of all of its business, as well as the mono-line orientation of Eastern Re, which primarily acts as a workers’ compensation reinsurer.
Eastern Re is a segregated portfolio company, or cell captive, whose general cell is a wholly owned subsidiary of EIHI and utilizes the expertise of Employers Alliance Inc., a Pennsylvania-domiciled insurance services provider and member of EAIG that acts as the third party administrator and provides services for all of the cells of Eastern Re.
Eastern Re issues preferred shares to its cell owners, which are agent or group captives that purchase workers’ compensation coverage from EIHI. These agent and group captives participate in the profits and losses of the cell for which they are the owners. This dynamic provides added incentive to the agent or group captive to prevent adverse selection for the business being assumed by Eastern Re.Factors that could influence the ratings of Eastern Re include a change in the overall risk profile of the Easterm Alliance Insurance Group (both more and less risky) as well as a change in the consolidated capital strength of the segregated cells. A.M. Best remains the leading rating agency of alternative risk transfer entities, with more than 200 such vehicles rated in the United States and throughout the world.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV