Stocks Finish Mixed in Ho-Hum Session
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks finished on a mixed note Monday as the pro-bailout party's victory in Greece over the weekend provided only a fleeting dose of relief to the eurozone debt crisis.
The election results quelled immediate concerns about Greece being on a path to leave the single-currency bloc but news of rising borrowing costs for Spain kept a lid on investor enthusiasm about the outcome.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed lower by 25 points or 0.20%, at 12,742. Earlier in the session, the blue-chip index sank as low as 12,696 and ranged less than 90 points on the day.
The S&P 500 added about 2 points, or 0.14%, to close at 1345. From its near four-year high levels in early April through the beginning of June, the benchmark declined by nearly 10%, landing it on the threshold of a correction. Since then, it's reclaimed some ground and now sits roughly 5% below a high of 1422 on April 2.The Nasdaq outperformed the other indices, advancing 22 points, or 0.78%, to close at 2895.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV