NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Microsoft (MSFT) is holding an event today in Los Angeles that came together very rushed and quickly over the past few days, with details few and far between. The uncharacteristic drama begs the question: Why such secrecy?
Speculation has been growing since Thursday when word first began to leak. Tech industry websites have different versions of the story, details are limited and hazy, and even the physical location has yet to be disclosed. It seems a ham-handed way to create buzz, assuming that's the goal.
AllThingsD is reporting a Windows ARM-based tablet, based off Windows 8.
TechCrunch reported that Microsoft is going to unveil a branded tablet capable of XBox Live Streaming, as a result of its partnership with Barnes & Noble (BKS). Microsoft and Barnes & Noble announced a joint venturel earlier this year, with Microsoft investing $300 million into a new company.See the winners and losers from the Microsoft-Nook deal If it is indeed a Windows ARM tablet, that could be huge, according to Credit Suisse analyst Phil Winslow, who has an outperform rating and a $38 price target on Microsoft's stock. "We remain encouraged by the potential of upcoming product releases, specifically Windows 8, which we anticipate to be available in the calendar Q3/Q4 timeframe," he wrote. "Based on a more tablet-friendly UI
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV